Sunday, February 26, 2012

Mailbox Peak 2/26/2012

Me



Snow blanketed everything!




It snowed throughout our entire ascent.

Jan and Alex

Me, Alex and Alastair (Photo taken by Jan)

Alex and Jan climbing up towards the summit.

The sun even graced us with its presence in the afternoon.

Me and Bao under blue skies during the final push towards the summit.

Me

Alex

Our group at the summit! (Left to Right: Bao, Me, Alastair, Jason and Alex. Photo taken by Jan)

Dirtybox Peak


Jason and Dirtybox Peak



The sun made the summit quite warm!

Headed back down. (Me, Jason and Alex. Photo taken by Jan)



Lunch time!! (Left to Right: Jason, Me, Alastair and Bao. Photo taken by Jan. Alex not pictured)

Beautiful views!


Alex





Finally, the road towards home.

My newly acquired Nalgene bottle injury.
My friends and I went for a hike up Mailbox Peak today due to really high avalanche danger elsewhere. I had never been on this particular trail, but I had my fears. Locally it is known to be quite grueling. Perhaps it is the 4000ft of elevation gain in 3 miles. Or maybe is the sign at the trailhead that reads: "Mailbox Peak Trail is a very steep, wet, unmaintained, difficult, challenging trail ... Search and rescue teams are frequently called to this trail to assist distressed hikers. Please respect your own ability." But despite my fears I found the hike to be enjoyable. I did however prefer the hike up rather then the descent. The descent was tricky at best with slick snow covered tree roots and the eroded soil. Even with microspikes I fell a least a dozen times. One time in particular  was quite painful as I fell onto my nalgene water bottle and bruised my ribcage. Despite the perils of this trail I look forward to attempting it again.


Driving Directions: From Seattle, drive east on I-90 to exit 34 (Edgewick Road). Turn left (north) onto 468th Street and follow it to the junction with the Middle Fork Snoqualmie Road (Forest Road 56). Turn right and continue up the Middle Fork Snoqualmie Road to the end of the pavement (about 3 miles from the I-90 exit). Turn right onto a gated road and park, being sure not to block the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment