Monday, December 5, 2011

Red Rock Canyon, Calico Hills: Rock Climbing Hamlet 12/05/2011

Heading out on the trail!

Climbing Friends!!


James get ready to climb!! Belayed by Dan, our guide for today's adventure.

James belays Dan.

I tie in for my climb using a figure 8 knot.


At the top of my first route!! Skill level 5.5


James, following after my lead!


James reaches the top!

I went rock climbing today for the first time outside of a gym. The weather was beautiful in Red Rock Canyon, especially in the sun. I climbed one 5.5 level route and two 5.7's. Overall, I was impressed with my abilities and I was glad to see my hand and wrist held up. I found it a bit nerve racking at times as I wasn't sure where to grab hold but I learned to trust in myself and my ability to find a way. This might just be one of the best days I've had in a long time.


Directions: Located 20 miles west of Las Vegas off Charleston Blvd.



1 comment:

  1. Nice, sandstone...so different from granite. Went climbing near there about 4 or 5 years ago. Would really like to go again soon. One thing that really stuck with us was how the micro-ecosystems would change radically as you hiked through the desert to the climbing rocks. Plants seemed to change every minute as you walked, and suddenly a stream appeared from no where. Very magical. I'm trying to remember the name of the stuff we climbed....had names like 'Romper-room', 'kindergarden class'...something like that! It was a lot of fun and camping in the desert was a new experience for all of us. Great post.

    ReplyDelete