Sunday, December 25, 2011

Book Review: "Touching the Void"- Joe Simpson

This book is an incredible story of friendship and survival. Joe Simpson and his climbing partner, Simon Yates, had just reached the top of a 21,000-foot peak in the Andes when disaster struck. Simpson plunged off the vertical face of an ice ledge, breaking his leg. The moment Joe broke his leg he was sure he'd never make it off that mountain alive. In the hours that followed, Simon Yates tried to lower his friend to safety. But a blizzard conditions and darkness came upon them. Finally, Simon was forced to cut the rope just moments before he would have been pulled to his own death. Simon, certain that Joe was dead, returned to base camp consumed with grief and guilt over abandoning his friend. Miraculously, Joe had survived the fall, but he was trapped in a deep crevasse crippled, starving, and severely frostbitten . Through the will to keep moving as opposed to dying alone on a ledge Joe defeats all odds and crawls for 3 days back to base camp. He is found by Simon just hours from his departure off the mountain to return home.

 This is one of those stories which is inspiring and horrific ant the same time. No one ever intends for things to go badly and when they do people are tested down to their souls. Simon Yates was criticized by some of the climbing community for his actions in cutting the rope. But I firmly believe Simon only cut the rope as a last resort when his life was in danger and he was sure Joe would be unable to get off the mountain. I think Joe Simpson understood Simons actions. As for Joe, wherever the strength came to just keep moving ended up being his saving grace. I just hope that if I ever find myself in a similar situation that I find the strength within myself to keep moving and to help my friends with the best of my abilities.
 
I had come across the title of this book in another story of survival to which I am grateful for the recommendation of such a wonderful novel.  "The Ledge: An adventure story of friendship and survival on Mount Rainier" by Jim Davidson and Kevin Vaughan.
 
Links:
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Lucky for me I climb with an experienced bunch with lots of knowledge. You are doing the right thing by learning all you can and practicing. Having the first aid skills is good too. Looks like a good read, both of the books you reviewed. My main partner and I always try to err on the side of caution. We usually have too much gear, but you never know when you might need it.

    ReplyDelete