Sunday, September 11, 2011

Rainier Mountain Festival 9/11/2011 (Best day ever!)

Yep, that's right.......Me and Jim Whittaker (First American to reach the summit of Mt. Everest; May 1, 1963.)

Jim Whittaker autographing a copy of his autobiography for me. Its inscription reads: "To Cheryl- Good Luck on Mt Rainier! Jim Whittaker".  He said to me, "now that's it written you have to complete it." Well, I promise Mr. Whittaker I will summit Mt. Rainier. Also pictured is Jim's wife, Dianne.

Today was an amazing day......It was the annual Rainier Mountain Festival in Ashford, Wa. I met several highly regarded mountaineers. But, I was most star struck by Jim Whittaker (although it is quite difficult to tell him apart from his twin brother Lou, who is also a highly regarded mountaineer.) Jim Whittaker autographed a copy of his autobiography and a poster for me. We briefly discussed the Portland Marathon (as I was wearing my 2010 Portland Marathon Shirt) and mountaineering. He asked me if I was going to climb Rainier and I said "I hope to someday." He inscribed my copy of his book "To Cheryl- Good Luck on Mt. Rainier!" Then he said, "now that it's written you have to complete it."

I also had the pleasure of meeting Jim Davidson, a mountaineer, who recently wrote a book entitled "The Ledge: An Adventure story of survival and friendship on Mount Rainier." I will be reviewing this book as I have already finished reading it. It is a truly captivating read.

I will also review Jim Whittaker's autobiography "A Life on the Edge: Memoirs of Everest and Beyond" when I finish reading it.

After meeting mountaineering legends it seemed only natural to go for a day hike in Mt. Rainier National Park. My friends James and Jennifer accompanied me on that hike, we took the Skyline Loop Trail from Paradise (click on the link for my blog of that hike).


Links:
http://www.rainierfestival.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Whittaker
http://jimwhittaker.altrec.com/jimwhittaker/edge/
http://www.speakingofadventure.com/the-ledge/

No comments:

Post a Comment