Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mt. Rainier National Park, Burroughs Mountains 1 & 2: 08/28/2011

On the south side of the parking lot you should find the trail off to your left. (Sunrise Rim Trail)




I love this picture because I think the background looks fake.....good thing I'm wearing green so you can tell it's not.

Raccoon tracks.....maybe?


Shadow Lake

This is right by the trail junction for Sunrise Camp. From here just continue straight and start climbing uphill.  Note: There is an outhouse off to the right, but I cannot testify to its condition.

Marmot on the trail. It didn't seem concerned by my presence....kept me waiting for quite a while until the trail was clear. Just remember, don't approach wildlife on the trail and keep a respectful distance.

Glacier Overlook....Great views to be had!!


"Burroughs Mountain- You are entering a unique area of alpine tundra please stay on trail and do not move rocks. The soil and vegetation are fragile and easily eroded. This area is similar to the tundra zone in the arctic regions of the world."


Taking a momentary break to immerse myself in the beauty which surrounds me.

Snowfield, quite a scary crossing. I was very cautious during my trip across, as it would be quite a fall.

View of the terrain down the mountain.

The steepness of the grade made me very nervous, note the trail.

Top of First Burroughs.

I stopped at the top of First Burroughs to eat a snack. This was my view!


Trail junction that leads onto Second Burroughs. From this view you can see the Mt. Fremont lookout, Mt. Baker and Glacier Peak.

Trail up to Second Burroughs. Expect to gain 400ft of elevation in 0.6 miles.

Snowfield up to Second Burroughs....this one was a lot less dangerous.

View from up top Second Burroughs. There is a nice rock bench up here....Stop, take a break, and admire the view.

Mt. Rainier and wildflowers. The trail on the lower right leads up to the Third Burroughs. I unfortunately did not have time to make it all the way to the Third Burroughs which is supposed to have an amazing view of Winthrop Glacier.

Can you spot the mountain goats?

From Second Burroughs I traveled downhill for approximately 0.4mile to this trail sign post. Just to the right of this sign there is an unmarked and unmaintained sandy trail. This trail leads to Third Burroughs.

When my time ran out I headed back the Burroughs Mountain trail towards Frozen Lake. I opted to take this way back as advised by a park volunteer. She told me the snowfield was not as steep as the Sunrise Mountain trail and that it was easier to navigate. I found this to be true, but it is recommended to have an ice axe. (Just in case the need for self arrest arises.)

View, from between snowfields.

View from the bottom of Burroughs Mountain Trail....you can see where the trail goes through the snowfield.

Final view of Mt. Rainier for the day.....doesn't it look heavenly!!
I returned to Mount Rainier National Park for some more magnificent scenery. Once again I started my journey at the Sunrise Area Trails parking lot. I took the Sunrise Rim Trail. It begins on the south side of the parking lot off to the left of the gravel service road. After a short downhill you will come to a trail junction, just stay right keeping on Sunrise Rim Trail. The trail winds through small alpine trees and meadows. At 1.3 miles you will come upon Shadow Lake. Just beyond the Lake is Sunrise Camp. From Sunrise Camp you climb moderately to the man made platform known as Glacier Overlook. Glacier Overlook's view are way beyond the effort of the moderate climb up to it. It has unobstructed views of Mt. Rainier, Little Tahoma Peak and Emmons Glacier. From here the trail gets more strenuous as it climbs up to the top of First Burroughs. I recommended hiking with care through this area, not only protect yourself  but to also protect the fragile landscape. From atop First Burroughs I then followed the trail 0.6 miles to Second Burroughs. Second Burroughs has a closer less obstructed view of Mt. Rainier. I had wanted to travel all the way to Third Burroughs but I had a time constraint. I did travel part way to the Third Burroughs, through the meadow to just after where the climb uphill starts. Then I headed back towards my car via the Burroughs Mountain trail past Frozen lake to the Sourdough Ridge Trail. Despite the fact that there were more snowfields on the way back (four to be exact) I found this trail to be less arduous than the Sunrise Rim Trail.

Trail start time: 0900
Trail end time: 1500
Total time: 6 hours
Distance:  7.7miles
Approximate speed: 1.3miles per/hour
Peak Elevation: 7,400'
Elevation gain: 1000'

Links: SunriseAreaTrails.NPS.Gov

Driving Directions: From Enumclaw,WA drive east 43 miles on State Route 410 to the Mount Rainier National Park White River Entrance. Veer right onto the Sunrise Road and follow it 17 miles west to the large parking lot and visitor center at the road's end.

Note: It is a good idea to check with the park service (306-569-2211) for road conditions and gate closures in the spring and fall. Sunrise road doesn't usually open until mid July and starting October 12th it is only open on weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment