Sunday, November 6, 2011

Central Cascades: Mt. Washington 11/06/2011

James, Jennifer and Anastasia head up the trail from the parking lot.

James and I having a good time!!



Mushroom



James was shocked by the size of some of the leaves on the ground. He just could resist using them for a laugh!


Viewpoint from the trail.

Signpost


Snow!!!

Breathtaking views!


There's nothing quite like hiking with friends!

I thought this was one of the most beautiful ways I've seen snow.

I love the way the snow was so crisp and crystalline.


We might need traction devices.




On our way down the sun was setting and it illuminated the mountains a pretty red color.



Just before leaving the parking lot.
Today was a beautiful day for a hike. I was so glad to get my feet back on the trail. October had been a difficult month with my repeated hand surgery and adjustments to work schedule. Thus, I had not been giving the trail the time I wanted. But getting back on the trail made me feel as though I was getting back on track with my goals.

We attempted to summit Mt. Washington again today, but yet again it evaded us. We had gotten a bit of a late start when trying to coordinate everyone's schedule. We did make it further then our previous attempt but we decided to head back down around 3:30pm as we wanted to get off the trail before dark. The upper part of the trail had quite a bit of snow on it making a little slower going. All in all though it just felt great to get out and share some time with great friends on the trail.

Directions from Seattle: Take the1-90 East to exit 38. Make a right off the interstate and the parking lot entrance will be on your right just before the road veers left. Then ascend the short trail from the parking lot, and reach the John Wayne Trail. Head west on the John Wayne Trail a short distance until the Iron Horse State Park/John Wayne Pioneer Trail sign appears, in about 150 feet there will be an unmarked trail on your left (this is the trailhead.)

*Please Note:  You are required to have a discover pass to park at the trailhead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment